Capital 3, Round 15 Review


Acacia Ridge traveled to Clairvaux on the weekend to play their third away game in a row. Earlier in the season both Ridge teams recorded impressive wins, but this time around Clairvaux were not going to be such pushovers at home.

The Ressies game kicked off very slowly. Neither of the teams were able to take the control of the game. Most of the first half was very scrappy with both teams struggling to control the ball. It needs to be mentioned that the field was probably the worst we played on this season. It is perhaps the reason why both teams elected to just kick the ball long for most of the first half. The first half didn’t seem to promise much for either team but right before half time one of Clairvaux midfielders tried his luck from a very long distance and saw his effort go in for 1-0. A couple minutes later Clairvaux had a free kick on about 35m from Ridge goal. With what was to be the last kick of the half, Clairvaux player took a shot and scored. Ridge keeper seemed to misjudge the flight of the ball but it didn’t matter because it was 2-0. Acacia Ridge came out very positive in the second half looking to reduce the deficit. After a period of sustained pressure from the Ridge boys they finally pulled one back. After some very good work on the left the ball was crossed in to the back post for an easy tap in. Unfortunately Ridge got caught on the break for Clairvaux to score their third and kill the game off. The Ressies have showed their quality in all games this season but also that they are their own worst enemies.

The First team were looking to extend their run of good form but had another bad start to the game. In what is becoming a very ugly habit of recent weeks we conceded within first five minutes of the game yet again. Casual attitude at the back and some poor decision making gifted Clairvaux a chance to go 1-0 which they promptly took. Acacia Ridge immediately replied with a couple of chances of their own but some brilliant reflexes from point blank range from Clairvaux keeper denied them an equaliser. An early goal for Clairvaux perhaps set the rest of the game. Acacia Ridge pushed forward for goals and Clairvaux were happy to try and defend their lead. Just before half time however Clairvaux had a great chance to double their lead but this time it was Ridge keeper’s time to shine with a great one on one save. Second half began the same way first finished with Acacia Ridge on the attack. Acacia Ridge had long spells of possession and territory but they found it very hard to break down a very well organised and determined Clairvaux defence. Despite things not going the way we wanted the boys never gave up. After some great one touch football Clairvaux defence was finally opened up with about 5 minutes to go and the keeper was finally beaten but only on the third attempt after pulling off two more incredible saves from close range. Minutes later Ridge had their second and the turnaround was complete. After a one touch pass move that started in Acacia Ridge half it only seemed appropriate for the goal to be a first touch finish drilled low across the goal from the left side. The match finished 2-1 to Acacia Ridge and it certainly wasn’t one of our prettier wins. It goes to show that even in bad conditions when things don’t quite go your way, with the right attitude you always give yourself a chance.

Next Sunday we are back at home to welcome Samford Rangers.


You may also like...